Mother Church

Cathedral Church of St Mary and St Boniface

Cathedral Church of St Mary and St Boniface, Plymouth

The Cathedral Church of Saint Mary and Saint Boniface in Plymouth is the seat of the Bishop of Plymouth.

In 1858 the Cathedral was built merging the Church of Saint Mary and the Church of Saint Boniface. Work commenced on 22 June, during which a Royal Navy officer fired new Turkish Man-of-war guns in Plymouth Sound, which caused subsidence.

The Cathedral was opened with Mass on March 25, 1858 (the Feast of the Annunciation), and consecrated by Bishop Vaughan on 22 September, 1880.