Mother Church

Cathedral Church of St Barnabas

Cathedral Church of St Barnabas, Nottingham

The Cathedral Church of St. Barnabas in the city of Nottingham. It is the mother church of the Diocese of Nottingham and seat of the Bishop of Nottingham.

Building started in 1841 and was finished and consecrated in 1844. It was built in the Early English Plain Gothic style, although in contrast, the Blessed Sacrament Chapel was richly decorated. With the establishment of a new Catholic hierarchy in the United Kingdom in 1850 by the decree of Pope Pius IX, it was raised to cathedral status.

The cathedral is a Grade II listed building of the lancet style of architecture, and is considered to be one of the best specimens of the work of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.

The clergy of the Cathedral also serve the churches of Our Lady and St. Patrick in The Meadows and St. Augustine on Woodborough Road.