Mother Church

Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St David

Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St David, Cardiff

The Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St David, also known as St David's Cathedral Cardiff. The current building was designed by Pugin and Pugin Architects and constructed 1884-87.

It was Cardiff's principal Catholic church, and it became seat of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Cardiff in 1916. In 1920 it was declared the Cathedral Church of the new Archdiocese of Cardiff.

The Cathedral was destroyed by World War II bombing in March 1941 when incendiary bombs pierced the roof. During the 1950's it was restored and rebuilt, under the supervision of F. R. Bates, Son, and Price and was re-opened in March 1959.