Mother Church

Cathedral of Our Lady and St Philip Howard

Cathedral of Our Lady and St Philip Howard, Arundel

The Cathedral of Our Lady and St Philip Howard, Arundel, was the gift of Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 15th Duke of Norfolk. The architect was Joseph Hansom, widely known as the inventor of the Hansom Cab. The style of the Cathedral is French Gothic about 1400. It was commissioned by Henry, XV Duke of Norfolk, in 1868 and opened on 1st July 1873, as the Catholic parish church of Arundel, with Pontifical High Mass in the presence of Cardinal Manning. It became a Cathedral on the foundation of the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton in 1965. Its centenary was celebrated on 1st July 1973, with Pontifical High Mass in the presence of Cardinal Heenan.

The 'St Philip' of the title was originally St Philip Neri. However, following the Canonisation of St Philip Howard in 1970 as one of the 40 martyrs, and the translation of the saint's remains to a newly built shrine in the Cathedral on 10th March 1971, the dedication was changed to Our Lady and St Philip Howard.

The exterior of the Cathedral is best seen from a distance, but over the West Door can be seen the great rose window with figures of Christ and his Apostles and a delicately carved statue of Mary and Her Divine Child.